The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
Olive Ridley Sea Turtle Nesting Protection Program...
Movies on a Plane
Board Game Weekend
French Polynesia 2016 Summary
The long way home...
Large Schools of Fish in North Fakarava
Baby Sharks in Toau
The Wall of Sharks of South Fakarava
Shark Nursery of Tahanea
Nurse Sharks of Makemo
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Diving the Liberty Wreck in Tulamben

I had just one day of diving in Bali, because my trip to Komodo starts the next day. So on Saturday I walked into the first dive shop I found on the internet and asked if they had anything planned. The only option was Tulamben. Even though I had been there two times before (in 2006 and in 2011) and it meant a 2.5 hours transfer each way, I signed up.

Later when I checked my downloaded Caches, I was extremely happy to see there was a diving Multi-Geocache!

Our first dive was at the wreck and even though it looked like there were dozens to hundreds divers around, we found a lucky timeslot, where we were almost alone in the water. The wreck seemed to have fallen in quite a lot since the last time I was here, but since I can't find any picture evidence for this, it might just be a trick of my mind. What was fun though, was that the one huge Barracuda, which was there the last two times, still hangs around the wreck :)


Our second dive was at the drop off, where we spotted a Harlekin Ghostpipefish, a large Spanish Mackerel and much more.


After the dive we had a break, which I used to walk to the final of the Geocache and I was able to claim my third geocache in Indonesia :).

The last dive of the day took us from the wreck along the house reef to the coral garden. The fish live was surprisingly varied. Highlight was a stingray at a cleaning station. 


In addition there were a lot of man-made installations which should help the reef grow. The one I remember most, a skeleton that looked like a plane was still there, although it lost its wings.

The plane in 2011
The plane in 2016

Labels: , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page